THE ICMDA CONFERENCE WHICH TOOK PLACE ON THE 29TH AND 30TH
ICMDA is the International Christian Medical and Dental Association. In
With the success and completion of the first conference, Ternopil was chosen by the National committee members of the ICMDA, also due in part to the large turn up of Ternopil participants in the first conference, and hence came the location of the 2nd conference. The Ternopil State medical University complex in Kalyna became the site of choice for the conference and it also served as accommodation of participants outside the city and also another village in the name of Zarvanytsa which is about 45 minutes’ drive from Kalyna was a site for more accommodation too.
Conference took effect on the 29th and ended on the 30th
with tremendous success. It graced 364 participants from 16 different cities in
The Conference programs included Master classes (three on the 29th and one on the 30th of October) which are forums for tutorials/teachings from our invited guests who are renowned professors and achievers in their various fields of career. The essence of such master classes is not just to teach but for these important personalities to share their years of experience with participants and if possible share some of the things the participants may not see or learn in books. Since it is not just a Medical conference but as well a Christian, there were programs for the spiritual aspect of the participants such as worship and praises, admonishment and spiritual encouragements. Presentations were also made, especially the one made by Elenga Gift on Xenodermograft. The program was not all about “all-work-for-Jack” but as well there were breaks in interval of the event. Lunch and dinner were also served during the conference in the Medical complex on Saturday while only lunch on Sunday. The Master classes/presentations rendered were as follows:
1. Xenodermograft, an intervention that is saving Lives
2. The scientific evidence for the role of faith in the health of patients.
3. How to target the truth.
4. Efficiency of mexicor in treatment of patient with hypertensive diseases and chronic Kidney disorders.
5. Compassion (Therapeutic relationships).
6. HIV/AIDS education and prevention.
7. A study of motivation in learning, advising patients about change and personal development.
8. Diagnosis and treatment of Prostate Cancer using a real patient.
9. Prevention and management of pressure Ulcers.
10. Stress management and how to handle an angry patient.
11. Oral hygiene and its complications
12. A Global perspective of Medicine.
13. Dental treatment in the terminal phase of Life
14. How to use an Otoscope and diagnosis of ear infections in Children.
15. Breaking bad news and answering difficult questions about end of Life from the patient.
16. Morphological basis of circulatory system disorders.
17. How to approach Xenophobia and immigration problems.
18. Structuring scientific research article.
19. Human Microbial ecology.
20. What is Health?
21. Antibiotic abuse
22. Checking spiritual vital signs.
23. Pain management in palliative care.
24. Primary care Medicine, the impact of chronic diseases.
25. Battle fatigue
26. Global mental Health problems.
27. A Christian Doctor’s perspective on chronic illnesses.
28. Life choices- what sort of doctor will you be?
29. Histophysiology of blood.
30. Care of Colostomy patient.
31. A practical on examination of the diabetic patient.
32. How to read and evaluate research article.
33. New advances on determining the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of Autism.
34. Patient-Doctor relationships.
35. Prophylaxis in pharmacy and Dentistry.
36. Seven Billion patients and you.
37. The usage of Thiopoentin (glutoxim) in the complex treatment of Non-Alcoholic steatohepatitis.
38. Global women’s health issues.
39. Meaning, hope and the will of Life.
40. VB (Teaching children with ASD towards recovery).
41. How Health systems function (differences, approaches, etc) in the world.
The guest speakers were:
1. Wiley Smith (MTW-USA)
4. J. Martin Leiper (PRIME- Scotland)
5. Andriyshyn Olexandra
7. Anita Verhoeven (PRIME- Holland)
8. Klymnyk Serhiy
9. Victori Andes (
10. Kateryna Posokhova
11. J. Martin Leiper (
12. Dr. Jim Peipon (
13. Prof. Wayne Vanderwier (
14. Dr. John Geater (
15. Prof. Tove Giske
16. Gil H. Odendaal (Global HIV/AIDS initiative-USA)
17. Ros Simpson (
18. David Chaput
de Saintouge (
19. Ms. June Johnson (CMA-USA/Ukraine)
20. Klara Kisgeci
21. Shawn Kuhn (MTW_USA)
The aims of this conference are to promote the establishment of professional relationship and the vocational growth of young professionals in the health field and also to provide through lectures and seminars theoretical and practical knowledge of current issues in Medicine with the application of Jesus teaching principles.
Furthermore, it aims at exchanging experience with domestic and foreign health professionals (Academic exposure); giving a forum of health professionals (medical doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists, Dentists, laboratory technologists, etc to motivate students) and finally to support the young professionals in their spiritual and career development. All these aims have been adequately met and subsequent episodes of such a conference will only strengthen these aims. This conference which was organized under the auspices of the International Christian Medical and Dental Association was blessed with lots of partners both internationally and locally to ensure the success of this event and these partners are listed as follows:
1. PRIME-Partnership in
Medical Education (
2. UMO-Ukraine Medical
3. NCFI-Nursing Christian fellowship international (Worldwide).
4. MTW- Missions to the world
5. CMF-Christian Missionary
fellowship of Evangelical students (
7. ACP-Alliance of Christian
8. CMA-Ukraine: Christian
Medical Association (
9. CMF-Christian Medical
10. ICMDA-International Christian Medical and Dental Association (Worldwide)
11. RM-Russian Ministries (Worldwide).
12. Global HIV/AIDS initiative
13. Association for spiritual
14. Religious information
15. Association of Christian
Journalists, publishers and Broadcasters “NovoMedia”
16. Federation of Ukrainian Catholic Academical and student.
17. Associations “OBNOVA” (
18. OIC Oversees instruction
in counseling (
19. IFI-International Faith
20. YWAM- Youth with a mission
21. Local pastors council and Local churches (
There is the local organizing committee which worked tirelessly and immensely to ensure this conference becomes a historic event. This committee took responsibility of logistics, statistics, technicalities and all other aspect of this conference and hence needs to be acknowledged.It consists of:
1. Gift Elenga (Head)
2. Makama Funom Theophilus
3. Janet Konkor Djangmah
4. Victor Chibiko
5. Frank Ekpeh
6. Clement Nwaduwa, and
7. William Lamptey
8. Aleksandra Cichocka
committee was assited by the First Aid/Emergency
committee (FAC) members: Ms. June Johnson (Head-USA), Daniel Selby (Kharkiv), Daniel Bassana (Ivano Frankiv), Rose Ballah (Ternopil) and Constancia Edinam Gobodzo (Ternopil). The Rector and Administration of the